Department of Water Resources Home

Flood Management

Projects Eligible for Subventions Funding

There are several types of projects that are eligible for subventions funding. In 2000, Assembly Bill 1147 (AB 1147) prescribed new requirements for projects authorized after January 1, 2002.

  • Major Flood Control Projects - these are major U.S. Army Corps of Engineers projects that are specifically authorized by Congress.  Generally, the federal authorization is done in a Water Resources Development Act (WRDA).  These major Corps projects must also be specifically authorized by the Legislature.
  • Small Flood Control Projects - these are small U.S. Army Corps of Engineer projects authorized by Section 205 of Public Law 80-858 and the U.S. Army Chief of Engineers.  These small Corps projects are authorized by Water Code Section 12750 and are subject to certain findings by the Department.
  • Watershed Protection Projects - these are Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) watershed protection projects that are authorized by the Administrator of the NRCS after the reports are reviewed by the Agriculture Committees of Congress.  These watershed protection projects are authorized by Water Code Section 12868 and are subject to completion of specified administrative actions and to findings by the Department.

For more information on